Monday, 24 September 2012

News of the week Vol.4

In the Clothes Named Fat scans by Anno Moyoco

♡ For those of you who like Velvet Goldmine, Hedwig and the Angry Inch or Almost Famous... you should try Breakfast on Pluto by Neil Jordan. It's a really emotional politically-charged movie about a young gender troubled man who's going to go and explore London to find his mother who abandoned him at birth. The glam rock ost is great, the clothes are beautiful and the whole movie, even though it is a bit unequal, is pretty cool. By the way Neil Jordan is also the talented director of three worth watching movies, Butcher Boy, High Spirits and Mona Lisa.

♡ Talking about Hedwig, I haven't watched it in AGES and I still love that movie so much. The original soundtrack is fabulous, I love every second of it. Everytime I watch this movie, it's like injecting rock n roll straight into my brain. You finish it and you feel totally revitalized. Hedwig is John Cameron Mitchell's master stroke. Here's to Patti and Tina and Yoko, Aretha. And Nona and Nico and me. And all the strange rock and rollers. You know you're doing all right. So hold on to each other. You gotta hold on tonight ♪ ♫

All Ages The Boston Hardcore Film is a new documentary film that explores the early Boston Hardcore music scene from the years 1981 through 1984. The community, culture, straight edge and DIY (do it yourself) ethic of the time are all explored in the film. I have no idea about the quality and the interest of that documentary but I think I'll watch it soon.  

♡ If you like Cube and Pi, try and the Spanish movie Fermat's Room. It's a claustrophobic movie with mathematicians stuck in a room that is slowly closing in on them unless they solve a mysterious enigma. Not amazing, not bad... lots of good ideas to explore. What's going on in Spain?

♡ I have always loved Converge and the whole aura surrounding the band. I was really pleased to watch this interview of the Jacob Bannon during their last gig in Paris. He is so down to earth, clever, talented and humble. The interview made by the French webzine Pelecanus is very well done and beautifully edited. Also, it is illustrated with intense live videos. 

♡ Talking about great interviews, a friend of mine sent me this very cute interview of Royal Thunder made by two 11-year-old little girls. This was really well done too, the questions are excellent and the band was really enthusiastic. Royal Thunder is awesome and this was fun to watch.

♡ I have always loved the French actress Chiara Mastroianni. I can't wait to watch Carnages that was so difficult for me to find! I also want to watch Le Journal du Séducteur starring CM by the great Danièle Dubroux.

♡ I was totally hooked by Kentucky, the new Panopticon album, including some banjo elements. The use of this instrument in various musical genres is always very interesting. I recently found a new documentary about it... why not?

♡ I did not know that the underrated Amerie collaborated with the K-pop sensation 4Minute! Surprising and refreshing. I wanna see Dana International collaborating with 2NE1 and my life is complete.

♡ The new Deftones single is here! Here's a band that never disappointed me. They remain fucking amazing throughout the time. 

♡ I keep on listening The Butcher's Ballroom by Diablo Swing Orchestra. How come I never tried this band before? That album is a masterpiece!

♡ Talking about great musicians, I was finally able to listen to the new No Doubt album. It was a real emotional roller coaster for me! I went from "Oh it's a boring album!!" to "I love it!!". You really need to listen to the songs carefully to get into this new album imo. I think it misses one strong up tempo hit though. Undone, Heaven and Easy are my favorite ones at the moment. Don't miss the bonus tracks because the acoustic/live versions are really cool! I just don't really feel the El Mac artwork... a bit disappointing.

♡ I'm so in love with this performance by Alphabeat, such a nice 80's Cyndi Lauper style. The new album is on the way... wait and see. I hope it will be cheesy and cute as always!

♡ I've always been a huge fan of Paris is Burning and I love watching dance videos on youtube for hours... it always makes me feel happy haha. It's just crazy when you see all the energy that people put into it. I've been watching some Alloura videos and I am astonished when I look at her moving her body. There are so many girls that I could name but I also love the Legendary Leyomi whipping her hair. Check this youtube account for more.

♡ Movie on my "to watch" list: Brand Upon the Brain! by Guy Maddin.

Stay fabulous readers, xxx

2 comments:

  1. After "Brand upon the brain" you'll have to watch "Careful" (if you haven't already) ! It's my favourite film EVER.
    Then we'll have to talk about the fact that we never talked about Guy before ! Guy is a dear friend <3
    -m-

    ReplyDelete